Monday 4 February 2008

Screen Designs - Feedback Wanted

Below are my screen designs for the iTunes redesign. Any feedback on my final 3 would be appreciated.

Digital Design 1 - My first design is very similar to the current site. This is to not alienate existing users who may not be very web savvy and may have just gotten used to the current layout. The navigation is split down 2 sides, the music down the left and any other sections down the right.

Digital Design 2 - This screen design is once again similar to the original site but with all the navigation down the left hand side where users are used to it being. The images/banners are also smaller and so not as much in your face but this then requires more information to be on the page which could once again confuse the user.

Digital Design 3 - The third design is the most different. All the navigation is at the top of the page so that it is easily accessible, and it is also limited to the bare minimum so to not confuse the user.

Once again the banners are full length across the page to minimise the amount of information on the page so it is not as cluttered.

Completed sections of my screen designs:

Final roughs 1

Final roughs 2

Final roughs 3

Second development stage

Initial roughs

4 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

I can't really say which one I'd prefer, because there is so little to judge on. I think you should mock up some digital screen designs and then show them again. It will probably be a bit easier to understand your direction then.

Craig Allington said...

I'm currently about to start the digital designs Craig. I just thought I'd post those up for the moment however for any obvious initial feedback whilst I'm developing the digital designs.

I understand there's not really that much there at the moment though.

Craig Burgess said...

My initial feelings is that all three designs look very similar, so I think my comments are going to be based on all three designs. I think you should try and think of some more varied ideas.

If I picked one I'd say that design number 1 is the most balanced out of the 3, but I think it still needs a lot of work. I don't think the grey works, and just makes the site seem very dreary. Your icons in your header are also far too oversized, so try dropping them down a lot more and tucking them in the corners.

I take it this is how you are planning to design your homepage. What about the interior pages such as the pages that will be full of lists? I'd like to see how the design transpires over the different styles of pages.

Currently, I think the best piece of critique I could give you is make everything a lot smaller. I also don't think that it looks very 'Apple' right now, so try and consider what an 'Apple' look is. Their website is a great example of their style.

Craig Allington said...

Cheers Craig, they were designed in a bit of a hurry to try and get initial feedback but I do see your point about it being too large and not very appley.

As for the variation of my designs, I did numerous designs to start off with and narrowed them down to these final 3. I think in a way I had already chosen my final design subconsciously and was experimenting with variations of it.

My older screen designs are listed below if you would like to look at those and decide if you think any are better, though they are very rough and quick sketches ill admit.